Deut. 12:6; 2 Chr. 31:10-12; 35:9; Neh. 10:39; Prov. 3:9; Prov. 11:24; Mal. 3:8; Mark 12:41-44; Luke 6:38; 2 Cor. 9:5-11
I will give honour to the Lord with my substance. So shall my store-house be full of grain, and my vessel overflowing with new wine (Prov. 3:9).
Offerings are what you give back to God of your free will, out of what He has blessed you with. It could be from your monetary income or material possessions. It could also come in form of service unto the Lord.
Whatever we are giving to God as offering must be given out of a willing heart, it should be born of love and commitment to God. Hear what the Bible says: So, let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver (2 Cor. 9:7).
Offerings are quite different from first fruits and tithes. The latter belongs exclusively to God; they are non-negotiable. First fruits, as mentioned in chapter 3, is the totality of your first income, your first produce in the year. The tithe is a tenth of subsequent incomes. Offering, however, is a part of your substance that you give regularly of your free will as the Lord prospers you. As a child of God, it is your responsibility to do this so that provisions will be available in the house of God for the purpose of His work and to minister to the needs of the shepherds.
When you offer your substance, you must know that you are not giving to the church. Neither are you giving to the pastors, but to God. And whatever He lays in your heart is what He expects you to give. The bottom line, however, is faithful obedience. And that is what He rewards. He doesn’t reward you on the amount of your offering; He is looking for your honest-to-God obedience, as a His child, to His command (Luke 21:2-4).
When you take your hands off something and commit it into the hands of God, being obedient to His voice, nothing but blessing will follow. Blessing God with offerings from your leftovers is not such as will be acceptable to God. He owns everything and whatever you have, you are holding in trust for Him: you are only a steward. Hear what the Bible says about such offerings:
“And when you offer the blind as a sacrifice, is it not evil? And when you offer the lame and sick, is it not evil? Offer it then to your governor! Would he be pleased with you? Would he accept you favourably?” says the LORD of hosts (Mal. 1:8).
“Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life” (Gal. 6:7-8).
It is sowing in the fertile ground of the Spirit that will lead to reaping life everlasting.
However, as stated earlier, offerings brought from such illegal businesses as advance fee fraud (“419”), drug and human trafficking, prostitution, bribery, stealing, etc., are all blood money. They are unacceptable to God; in fact, they incur His wrath.
“Like the partridge getting eggs together but not producing young, is a man who gets wealth but not by right; before half his days are ended, it will go from him, and at his end, he will be foolish” (Jer. 17:11 Bible in Basic English Version).
“I have no pleasure in you,” says the LORD of hosts, “nor will I accept an offering from your hands.” (Mal.1:10b)
Stop that illegal business. Get involved in genuine, God-approved businesses. That is when and where you will receive abundant blessings from the Lord.
Your offering commits God to bless you round about. When you give quality and acceptable offerings to God, you are preserving your future – financially and every other way.
- It is a divine command.
- God calls any act of default robbery and so must not be taken lightly.
- It must be a sweet savor unto God.
- It is a token of worship.
- It must not reproach God (Mal .1:6).
- Your offering is as important as the attitude of giving it – must be of genuine reverence.
- You must give it cheerfully (2 Cor. 9:7).
- You must give it willingly (1 Chr. 29:3-9).
- It must be according to ability, your financial status (1 Cor. 16:1-2).
Jesus must be honoured,
must be honoured,
must be honoured
Jesus must be honoured
in my life every day.
- Thank God for all His blessings in your life.
- I shall not offer unto God that which is polluted.
- By the power of the Cross, anything dead in my life, receive life in Jesus name.
- O Lord, take me to the next level in life and ministry in Jesus name.
- Anointing for me to enlarge my coast, fall on me, in Jesus name.
- O Lord, grant me the grace to be true to my obligation and fulfill God’s expectations for my life, in Jesus name.
- Every seed that I put into the ground (sow) shall not die, but shall bring forth in multiple folds in Jesus name.
- My harvest will not be attacked or stolen in Jesus name.
- Rain of favour and blessing, fall upon my financial ground in Jesus name.
- I shall live in sound health in Jesus name.
- Every conspiracy against my welfare and that of my family, scatter by fire in Jesus name.
- Every plan of hell to waste my harvest at the edge of manifestation, be aborted by fire in Jesus name.
- O God my Provider, provide for me and my family even in abundance in Jesus name.
- Negative pattern of wealth failure at a particular age running in my family, I reject you, you will not prosper in my life, in Jesus name.
- Activities of dream criminals making people to lose their blessings and virtues through dreams, concerning me and my family, I hold you bound by the blood of Jesus, in Jesus name.
- O Lord, make me a blessing to my generation and generations to come, in Jesus name.
- For me and my family, we shall not be a reference point for mockery in Jesus name.
- Every Red Sea between me and the land of rest and comfort, open up and let me through in Jesus name.
- Anointing for me to possess my possessions round about, fall upon me in Jesus name.
- Throughout this year and beyond, my glory shall shine brilliantly in Jesus name.
- By your mercies of Lord, I recover all my lost benefits and blessings in Jesus name.
- Every hand of the wicked stretched against me, my family, our labour, and harvest, you that hand, be paralyzed in Jesus name.
- Any stranger illegally occupying my land of inheritance, what are you doing there? I decree against you, die, in Jesus name.
- As the Lord lives and his Spirit lives, I shall not suffer losses in Jesus name.
Thank God for answered prayers.